It’s Friday for Portlanders and the work week is almost over! While many Portland parents are stressed out about having their children home all week on spring break, they are more than likely ready for a drink. If this story sounds familiar to you, but you do not feel that you can wait until after work, this lemon drop cupcake will make you think that it is 5 o’clock somewhere.
For the cake-
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- eggs, oil, and water according to package
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the frosting-
- 1 3/4 sticks butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Absolute Citron or Limón cello
Preheat the oven to 350F and prepare your cupcake tins by placing liners in the cavities, set aside.
- Open the cake mix and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the appropriate amount of water, eggs, and oil according to the box information. Add the lemon juice for an extra kick of lemon. Mix thoroughly. Spoon batter into the lined cupcake tins. Fill each cavity 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
- While the cupcakes cool, mix your frosting. Cream the butter until it is light and fluffy looking. Add the powdered sugar in one-cup increments. Between each addition, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides to ensure everything is properly mixed. Add the lemon alcohol and mix on high for one minute.
- Garnish cupcakes with a Lemonhead candy, lemon wedge, or lemon zest.