Half way through the year so I have to hip you to some lovely ladies that have impressed me so far in 2012 that I am looking to hearing more from the remainder of the year.
1. Selah Sue – She’s already made a splash overseas with her reggae soul pop rock sound. She oozes of the influence of the Marley’s and Lauryn Hill and even covers Ms. Hill during her lives sets. Her debut album that has done well in her native Belgium and the UK will be released in the US in August with a few extra tracks including a remix to her lead single “Raggamuffin” featuring J. Cole.
2. Skye Townsend – The daughter of actor, producer, director Robert Townsend is steadily making a name for herself that will take her from under her dad’s shadow. The working actress is an all around entertainer and you will see when you take a listen at her debut EP Vomit.
3. Chantele DiBrava – She started out on Broadway and has since been on a quest to bring old soul back at a time when most R&B singers have taken a break to do dance music. Not only a singer, but a talented musician as well, having been influenced by great like Ike & Tina, Aretha, Patti Labelle and more she launched an online series covering those greats. Check out her covers via youtube. She is currently in the studio working on original material.
4. RaVaughn – The Compound U/Columbia Records artist has a huge co-sign from Ne-Yo and was recently featured on the “Think Like A Man” soundtrack with her single “Same Ol’ BS.” A little birdie told me her debut album is set to drop the top of 2013 so definitely look out for her to make a splash towards the end of the year.
5. Tashi – The SRC/Universal artist blew me away when in my opinion sang Elle Varner’s “Only Wanna Give It To You” better then Elle did. You can check that out here.
Bonuses: The following aren’t really new because they’ve all had deals before but they’ve made some changes in their lives that are sure to set them up to take things to the next level.
K. Michelle – New management now signed to MBK Entertainment and one of the cast members of Love & Hip Hop Atlanta that is sure to build her fanbase and maybe land her a new record deal so that we can finally get a debut album from her.
Meleni Smith – She’s been a songwriter for a while and a couple years ago she signed a publishing deal with EMI alongside hit producer Salaam Remi. She most recently had a placement with her song “Love Is My Disease” on Alicia Keys latest album Element of Freedom. She recently finished her album My Heart In Focus that you can listen to here http://snd.sc/wV2IXQ and continues to write for other artists.