The best barbeque on Maui is at Beach Bums Bar and Grill in Maalaea.
Looking for some good “Q” on Maui? Head over to the middle section of the island and you’ll find it at Beach Bums in Maalaea.
This casual, open-air, laid-back restaurant sits at the edge of Maalaea Harbor and has great ocean views of the bay. Most lunch and dinner diners are coming back from snorkel trips, whale watch tours, and other water activities and grab a bite to eat while in Maalaea.
The smoky flavor of their ribs, brisket sandwiches, sausage, and smoked turkey platter is what makes me go back several times each month. Beach Bums is owned by two ex-bartenders that wanted to provide cold beer and great mixed drinks (stout Mai Tais), along with large portioned Texas-style barbeque. They succeeded.
Beach Bums has a “Rib Fest” on Wednesday night, and Tuesday night is “Prime Rib & Lobster Night”. Of course, they have other menu items like salads, sandwiches, and a great blue cheese burger. But it’s the barbeque that locals go to get and many use them for catering. Most evenings there is light music starting in the late afternoon.
You’ll find Beach Bums to have a friendly staff, good food, huge portions, nice music, and a great view of the ocean. What more could you ask for? Beach Bums Bar and Grill is a place you must visit while on Maui.
- Park in the main parking lot and walk through the shopping center. There’s some nice retail stores carrying a wide variety of Hawaiian-made items. The Maui Country Store carries some items not found anywhere else on Maui.
- Take time to walk through the Pacific Whale Foundation store. You’ll see some amazing Humpback Whale pictures, along with unique clothing and amazing whale and dolphin photography.
- Take the stairs down to the lower level to reach Beach Bums Bar and Grill from the upper level and main parking area.
- Visit the Maui Ocean Center before or after dining at Beach Bums. It would make for an outstanding day and the acquarium is a great place to see the marine life found in the warm waters of Hawaii.
- The Maalaea Harbor is home to many day and half-day snorkel trips to various spots around Maui. Most snorkel trips to Molokini leave from this harbor. After an early morning snorkeling trip to Molokini and Turtle Arches, stop in for some great barbeque and cold beer.
- Most nights there is live music beginning in the late afternoon and it’s best to sit further away from the music, which is stationed near the hostess stand.
Directions. Beach Bums Bar and Grill is located in the center of Maui, in the Maalaea area. The restaurant is located in the shopping complex with the Maui Ocean Center (Maui’s acquarium) and the large Pacific Whale Foundation retail store. It’s located in the lower level. The Maalaea Harbor is on the south side of the restaurant.
Beach Bums Bar and Grill
300 Maalaea Road
Maalaea, HI 96793
Hawaii Travel & Delicious Homemade Food!
The Hawaiian islands of Oahu, Maui, and The Big Island are the most visited Hawaiian islands, and Waikiki is one of the most famous beaches. Also, Honolulu airport is the “gateway” to Southeast Asia and Bangkok, Thailand is one of the most visited cities in the world.
Love Delicious Homemade Food? Check-out the “Homemade Gurus” at Homemade Pizza and Homemade Mexican food. They have delicious recipes.
Top 10 Maui Restaurants.
- Mama’s Fish House is one of the most well-known restaurants on Maui.
- In Lahaina Town, try Lahaina Grill. It’s one of the best restaurants on Maui.
- Merriman’s Hawaiian Restaurant in Kapalua has won many awards for outstanding food.
- The Pineapple Grill in Kapalua is a popular, upscale restaurant popular with locals and tourists alike.
- On the west side of Maui, try Star Noodle. It’s one of the most popular restaurants on the island.
- The Plantation House in Kapalua offers an excellent fine dining experience.
- Sarento’s On The Beach in the Kihei area of Maui is always recognized for outstanding food and service.
- Hali’ imaile General Store has pleased customers since opening in 1988 with its upcountry location.
- Japengo At The Maui Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa is a recent addition to the Top 10 Restaurants on Maui.
- Roy’s in Ka’anapali has consistently been one of the top restaurants on Maui, Hawaii.
Maui’s Top Attractions.
- Haleakala National Park lets you visit one of the most rare sights in the world at over 32,000 feet.
- The Road To Hana takes a full day but is one of the most famous drives in the world.
- One of the wettest and most beautiful valleys on all the Hawaiian islands is at Iao Valley.
- Visit 7 Sacred Pools (Ohe’o Gulch) past Hana on the far windward side of Maui.
- A “must-see” beach is Big Beach at Makena State Park on the southwest side of Maui, Hawaii.
- Lahaina Town & Banyan Tree on the west side of Maui is a historic whaling town with much to see.
- Stroll through gardens with over 45 varieties of lavender at the Ali’i Kula Lavender Farm.
- One of Maui’s top-rated family attractions in the Maui Ocean Center.
- Maui Tropical Plantation offers rides through a tropical plantation and has a fun zipline.
- The Sugar Museum is located on Hawaii’s largest working sugar factory.
- Tedeschi Winery produces wine from Maui-grown grapes at the Ulupalakua Ranch.
- Surfing Goat Dairy has world-class cheese made upcountry in a unique setting.
Maui’s Top Activities.
- See a unique perspective of Maui with a zipline adventure with Piiholo Ranch Adventures and Skyline Eco Adventures.
- See Molokini or the remote stretches of the Kanaio Coast with Red Line Rafting.
- Atlantis Submarines offers you the only underwater tour adventure on Maui that the whole family can enjoy.
- To rent snorkel equipment on Maui, go to Snorkel Bob’s or Boss Frog’s.
- Want to see another Hawaiian island? Go with Expeditions to the island of Lanai.
- There’s nothing like seeing Maui from a helicopter and Blue Hawaiian may be the best of Maui.
- Looking to jet ski? Jet Ski Maui is a seasonal activity but is a lot of fun even for beginners.
- Sunset dining on Maui gives you an unforgettable experience, and the Maui Princess is the boat to be on.
- Want to parasail while on Maui? UFO Parasail on Kaanapali Beach has been doing it longer than anyone.
- Bike down the Haleakala volcano for an amazing experience with Haleakala Bike Company.
- Trilogy offers one of the best excursions on Maui with several different daily tours.
- Enjoy The Road To Hana in a luxury vehicle with The Maui Touring Company.
- Go with the whale experts at Pacific Whale Foundation. They offer a wide variety of daily excursions.
- Wanting to go horseback riding on Maui? Go with Pony Express Tours for the best experience.
- Go sportfishing out of Lahaina Harbor with Start Me Up.
- Captain Steve’s Rafting Adventures is the top dolphin and whale tour company on Maui.
- Warren and Annabelle’s magic show is one of the best entertainment values on Maui.
- For the best luau on Maui, go to the Old Lahaina Luau in Lahaina Town on the west side of Maui.
BONUS – Free Hula Shows!
At The Lahaina Cannery Mall on the west side of Maui, there are free hula shows. The Polynesian Dancers perform at 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. The Keiki Hula Show (children performing) is at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Maui’s Best Luau!
While visiting Maui or any of the islands of Hawaii. a luau is a must. Learn a few things about a luau before you go, and here’s a list of popular luaus to consider:
- One of the most popular and highly-rated luaus is the Old Lahaina Luau on the west side of Maui.
- The Feast At Lele is an oceanfront luau at 505 Front Street in Lahaina Town.
- The best family luau is the Kaanapali Beach Luau.
- Staying in Wailea? Consider the Wailea Marriott Luau and The Grand Wailea Luau.
- In the Kaanapali Resort Area, both the Sheraton and the Hyatt offer a good luau experience.
Enjoy The Drive To Hana – www.roadtohana.com