Today, April 22, 2012, as Dallas winds down their Earth Day Dallas (EDD) celebrations, Rasmussen Reports, famous for political polls and surveys, announced the result of their lifestyle poll all about Earth Day. Rasmussen released results showing that “23% will do something special to celebrate Earth Day.”
Though that number may strike many as proof of a lack of interest for marking the 43rd Annual Earth Day, the number doesn’t take into account that the spirit of Earth Day is embraced in an all year effort, not just a day. In Dallas, two Texas companies are working together to make that happen.
The Dow Chemicals Company is promoting earth friendly projects on a full decorating page plus they have teamed in projects with Michaels Stores. Among other things, the chemical company manufactures environment sustainable STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam products and these products are sold at Michaels.
Several timeless arts, crafts and decor projects are available with photos and complete instructions on Michaels.com, the arts and crafts giant which is home based in the Dallas metroplex. The projects were created by Dow Chemical designers.
Local Dallas mom, Joy Spencer, admits that she is not especially crafty herself and seldom makes a point of doing anything special on Earth Day. However, she added, “I am always conscious of whether a product is earth friendly because I do care about the environment. In 2012, I plan to keep sustaining our earth in mind when I buy and I will search for recycled items from local Dallas artisans. I am so glad they have the time and talent to create what I cannot.”
Following are links to STYROFOAM™ organizing and floral projects, including one by another flourishing Dallas mompreneur, with creative inspirations to celebrate Earth Day Dallas each day of 2012:
- Gerbera daisy cube topiary: Create a modern striking floral cube topiary offering lush home decor colors in stylish topiary designs. Designed by Diane Flowers for The Dow Chemical Company
- Sleek and stainless CD mail organizer: This is a terrific recycling project to help organize your desk. Designed by Kathleen George for The Dow Chemical Company
- Champagne glass hydrangea spheres: It’s easy to form a high-impact grouping of formal objects d’art quickly following the instructions for this stunning project. Designed by Diane Flowers for The Dow Chemical Company
- Sleek & Stainless Pencil Cube: Expect to find STYROFOAM™ projects for future holidays and to make special occasion gifts for the coming year of 2012. One such project, ideal for a gift for Father’s Day is the partner to the mail organizer, already described above. This is a handy, tasteful and easy project that starts with a foam cube.
- Everlasting floral bouquets: Cold porcelain floral bouquets are created with a clay made from cornstarch and white glue. The petals are formed from the clay and shaped around a foam sphere. Vintage teacups are recycled as vases. A slideshow, featuring photos by Devonia Smith, plus a video how-to are provided on the left sidebar. (These bouquets are available for purchase on eBay by Dallas’ own many*shades*of*shabby)