Better Homes and Gardens has crafted a wonderful recipe for blackberry pie. This sweet pie recipe is sure to be a big hit with guests. Combining a variety of textures and flavors, this recipe delivers a pleasant dining experience that foodies are sure to remember for ages.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
6 – 7 tablespoons water
3/4 – 1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups blackberries
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1. In a mixing bowl combine the 2 cups flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.
2. On a lightly floured surface flatten one dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle.
3. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and 1/3 cup flour. Stir in berries and lemon peel. Gently toss berries until coated. Transfer berry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate.
5. On lightly floured surface roll remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. For a lattice crust, trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Cut rolled pastry into 1/2-inch strips and weave strips over filling. Fold bottom crust over strip ends; trimming strips as necessary. For a 2-crust pie, trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in top crust for escape of steam; place on filling and fold edge under bottom pastry. Flute edge as desired.
6. If desired, brush pastry top with a little milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
7. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Blackberry Pie)
Servings Per Recipe 8,Calories 390,Protein (gm) 4,Carbohydrate (gm) 55,Fat, total (gm) 18,Saturated fat (gm) 4,Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 6,Vitamin A (RE) 31,Vitamin C (mg) 19,Sodium (mg) 134,Calcium (DV %) 40,Iron (DV %) 2,Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Baltimore City residents can purchase the ingredients for this recipe at the following locations:
711 West 40th Street
Baltimore, MD. 21211
Eddie’s of Roland Park
5113 Roland Avenue
Baltimore, MD. 21210