This week is the 31st annual observation of National Crime Victims Rights Week. The Crime Victim Rights Council of the Lehigh Valley is holding a Crime Victims Vigil to commemorate this event tonight at the Memorial Tree of Life Grove off Cedar Crest Boulevard in Allentown at 6:00 p.m. rain or shine. Come out and show your support for local crime victims and their families.
The Crime Victims Rights Council of the Lehigh Valley has been serving our community since 1973. They are a non-profit organization that provides support and service to families that are victims of violent crimes. All of these services are provided at no cost.
Some of the services provided by CVC include:
- Get help now – 24-hour crisis counseling and support is available through our 24-hour hotline: 610-437-6611
- Hospital Emergency Room Accompaniment – Experienced CVC Staff provide on-site support at any of the Lehigh Valley hospital emergency rooms, 24-hours a day.
- Police Accompaniment – Experienced CVC Staff provide on-site support any of the Lehigh Valley police departments.
- Court Accompaniment – CVC Staff are located at the Lehigh and Northampton County Courthouse Victim Witness Rooms, providing support, information and accompaniment to criminal justice proceedings. Advocates are also available to attend preliminary hearings at local Magisterial District Judges locations.
- Individual Counseling – Experienced CVC Staff provide one to one counseling support to victims and their families.
- Support Group Counseling – Experienced CVC Staff provide facilitation of various support groups, which can often help victims with similar experiences understand normal reactions and coping skills. Support Groups are held throughout the year, as they are needed. Current Groups include: Rape Survivors, Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Assault, Children, Teen, Men, and Homicide Survivors Group.
- Victims Compensation – Trained CVC Staff help victims file for financial compensation.
CVC also provides resources for community education regarding crime victimization and prevention. These materials are available for schools, civic organizations, and corporate and professional training.