It’s the weekend, and you have to make supper again. Who feels like cooking on the weekend after cooking all week? Maybe you will, after you see how quick and easy this recipe is.
Okay, well there is some actual cooking time involved, but the prep time is minimal. You can shave even more time off the getting it ready stage by buying your peppers prechopped at your local market. This meal could also easily become a pantry meal: just buy a bag of the presliced frozen bell pepper strips to keep on hand, and there are plenty of ‘ready rices’ (like Uncle Ben’s Rice Pilaf) that you zap in the microwave and 90 seconds (really) later it’s done.
Buy some of the best sausages around at Spillers’ Farm Store, on Route 9A in Wells.
What you need:
- A package of Italian Sausages, hot or sweet, 3-4 works well but you can use as many as you like (or you have!).
- Peppers cut into strips and onions (if you like them) cut into half rings.
- Garlic, 1-2 cloves or you can use the jarred stuff if that’s what you have in the fridge.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Rice of some sort. Certainly leftover pasta (is there such a thing??) would also work well in this recipe. Or a loaf of Italian bread for sandwiches.
What to do:
Cut the sausages into thirds. Drizzle them with some olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Adding a clove or two of garlic can’t hurt (leave them whole then take them out later–you can freeze them to add to your Sunday Gravy next time you make it). Distribute mixture evenly on a half sheet pan. Roast at 400 degrees in an oven you’ve preheated for 30-45 minutes, depending on how full your pan is and how done you like it.
Use the leftovers to top a pizza the next day, or roll up in a wrap for lunch.