Whether you prefer salami, pastrami, pepperoni or B-O-L-O-G-N-A, today is all about those precooked sliced meats Americans love to eat. It’s National Cold Cuts Day! While the origins of this annual food holiday are unknown, National Cold Cuts Day is celebrated around the nation each year on March 3rd.
These popular precooked meats can be eaten straight out of the vacuum-sealed packages or made to serve at your favorite deli counter. In fact, deli meats are the most popular item at the deli counter. Whether you eat ‘em out of the package, in appetizers or in hoagies or submarine sandwiches, today’s cold cuts are readily available in a slew of flavors, shapes and sizes. Besides the more common varieties, there are other lesser known, speciality varieties like headcheese, liverwurst, tongue loaf, chorizo and blood tongue sausage, to name a few. Cold cuts are also referred to as luncheon meats or sliced meats. But no matter what you call ‘em, folks have been enjoying cold cuts for years.
In honor of National Cold Cuts Day, check out one or two of these delicious recipes listed below!
25 Cold Cut Recipes
- Jet Swirl Pizza Appetizers – You’ll need refrigerated pizza crust, provolone and mozzarella cheese, salami and sausage or pepperoni for this 5-star appetizer.
- Pepperoni Crisps – You need one simple ingredient for this simple to eat treat – pepperoni! You can add Cajun seasoning for extra heat.
- Provolone and Roasted Pepper Crisps – This recipe calls for 2 pitas, olive oil, a jar of roasted red peppers, garlic clove, lemon juice and provolone.
- Cold Cuts Salad – Who said you have to eat cold cuts between slices of bread?
- Muffalatta Olive Salad Sandwich – This recipe calls for a round loaf bread, salami, prosciutto, provolone and havarti cheese, green and black olives, pepperoncini, roasted red peppers, red pepper flakes, garlic, olive oil and white wine or balsamic.
- Grilled Turkey Parmesan Sandwich – Besides bread and turkey, this sandwich includes marinara sauce, provolone or mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Open Face Ham, Cheddar and Apple Butter Sandwich – Talk about gourmet, this sandwich looks amazing!
- Open-Faced Eggplant and Prosciutto Sandwich – This open-faced ‘wich calls for flatbreads, eggplant, prosciutto, fresh spinach, tomatoes, a sweet onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and muenster cheese. Yum!
- Italian Sub Restaurant Style – You’ll need submarine rolls, a red onion, lettuce, tomatoes, olive oil, white wine vinegar, fresh parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, sausages, salami, prosciutto, provolone and a dill pickle.
- Cuban Sandwich – This recipe calls for boiled ham, turkey, roast pork, salami, Swiss cheese, pickles, fresh veggies and Cuban bread.
- Captain Cold Cut – This recipe, from Martha Stewart, calls for 2 submarine rolls, olive oil, red wine vinegar, red bell peppers, lettuce, salami, prosciutto or ham and provolone cheese.
- Dripping Roast Beef Sandwiches with Melted Provolone – If you’re looking for oodles of flavor, check out this recipe. You’ll need hoagie rolls, provolone cheese, pickled banana peppers, Worcestershire sauce, roast beef and a can of Campbell’s Condensed French Onion Soup.
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Whole Grain Mustard and Cranberries – This sandwich looks pretty darn good! You’ll need Kaiser rolls, roast beef slices, smoke gouda cheese, whole-berry cranberry sauce, a red onion and spinach for this one.
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Horseradish Mayonnaise – If you love the kick of horseradish, check out this sandwich from Bon Appetit!
- Salami and Cream Cheese Sandwich – This 5-star recipe, from Martha Stewart, is a kid favorite.
- Pressed Salami Sandwich – This recipe calls for salami, provolone, arugula, country bread and a jar of oil-packed roasted red peppers.
- Gourmet Chicken Sandwich – This super-popular sandwich recipe has been saved over 27,000 times! ‘Nuff said!
- Grilled Chicken and Sun-Dried Tomato Sub – This sandwich recipe calls for hoagie rolls, chicken breasts, olive oil, red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives. No cheese.
- Joanne’s Super Hero Sandwich – This 5-star sandwich calls for Italian bread, deli turkey, ham, salami, black olives, garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice, mushrooms, lettuce and a tomato.
- Hearty Hero – This hero recipe has some kick to it.
- Hoagie Dip – You’ll need hoagie rolls, American cheese, ham, salami, tomatoes, an onion, lettuce, mayo and oregano for this 5-star recipe.
- Hoagie Bake – This hot dish calls for refrigerated crescent rolls, salami, ham, sausage, 3 eggs, and swiss, provolone and parmesan cheese.
- Reuben Dip – This 5-star recipe calls for corned beef, Swiss cheese, mayo, thousand island dressing and sauerkraut.
- Liverwurst Tea Sandwiches – Planning a tea party anytime soon? This recipe calls for white bread, mayo, Dijon mustard, liverwurst, a cucumber and caraway seeds. Yum!
- Cold Ham Sandwich Pizza Recipe – This recipe is perfect summer treat. You’ll need cream cheese, mayo, horseradish sauce, Boboli pizza crust, cooked ham, lettuce and creamy Italian salad dressing.
Enjoy! Speaking of holidays, March 3 is also National Anthem Day, National Mulled Wine Day and If Pets Had Thumbs Day.