Can spirulina make us smarter? Stay tuned to find out below. Spirulina is a superfood king offering a variety of benefits including protection from chemo, radiation and arsenic. This article will display 5 scientific studies to shed light on how this powerful agent protects your body & mind. Part 1 of 12 articles showcasing the benefits of spirulina. Needless to say there will be more articles than just 12 in the future articles. This will simply be a starting ground.
It is capable of protecting life forms from chemo and radiation poisoning. Which with all the radiation from Fukushima and chemical poisoning from companies like Monsanto we need all the help we can get.
- CTX and 60Co-gamma irradiation induced hemopoietic system damage in mice and dogs, respectively. PSp (spirulina platensis) 30, 60 mg/kg increased the level of the white cells in blood and nucleated cells and DNA in bone marrow in mice but had no effects on red cells and hemoglobins. PSp 12 mg/kg increased the level of red cells, white cells, and hemoglobins in blood and nucleated cells in bone marrow in dogs . . . PSp (spirulina platensis) has chemo-protective and radio-protective capability, and may be a potential adjunct to cancer therapy. (full abstract)
It acts as a powerful antioxidant to reduce proinflammatory cytokine (are small cell-signaling protein molecules that are secreted by numerous cells and are a category of signaling molecules used extensively in intercellular communication.) levels.
- Antioxidants and diets supplemented with foods high in oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) reverse age-related decreases in cerebellar beta-adrenergic receptor function . . . Apple and spirulina but not cucumber decreased MDA levels in the aged rats. In summary, the improved beta-adrenergic receptor function in aged rats induced by diets rich in antioxidants is related to the ORAC dose, and these diets reduce proinflammatory cytokine levels. (full abstract)
This abstract illustrates many ways in which spirulina can benefit the body and decrease candida albicans within the body.
- Under the influence of SP (spirulina platensis) macrophages, T and B cells are activated. SP sulfolipids have proved to be effective against HIV. Preparations obtained from SP biomass have also been found active against herpesvirus, cytomegalovirus, influenza virus, etc. SP extracts are capable in inhibiting cancerogenesis. SP preparations are regarded as functional products contributing to the preservation of the resident intestinal microflora, especially lactic acid bacilli and bifidobacteria, and to a decrease in the level of Candida albicans. (full abstract)
It would seem that it can even make us a little smarter as seen in this study with school children.
- Senegal initiated a program to improve the nutritional status of school-age children with the use of spirulina . . . Over these 60 days, the students took a daily dose of 2 grams of spirulina mixed with 10g of honey to make the taste acceptable . . . The sample size was a total of 549 schoolchildren: 273 (49.72%) were girls, and 276 (50.28%) boys. The mean age was 91 months [90.29-91.71]. The average of 2rd quarter marks before supplementation was 5.17 out of 10 IC = [4.99-5.35] and the same for the 3rd quarter after two months of supplementation was 5.78 out of 10 IC = [5.59-5.97]. The mean difference between pupils’ marks at the 3rd and the 2nd trimester was 0.59 (p <– 0.0001). After two months of supplemental feeding, the academic performance of the children was improved. (full abstract)
Have arsenic poisoning? Check this study out demonstrating the amazing capacity of spirulina as a chelator.
- Chronic arsenic poisoning (arsenicosis) is a major public health problem in Bangladesh. People are consuming high concentration of arsenic (>10 ppb) through their drinking water. But still now, there is no specific treatment of it. Spirulina, natural bluish-green microalgae, is found to be effective in the treatment of arsenicosis recently . . . Removal of arsenic (%) from arsenic loaded liver tissues by alcohol extract & hexane extracts were 33.8% & 83.0% respectively. Between the two extracts of spirulina the hexane extract causes more percentage removal of arsenic which is highly significant (p<0.001). So, the present study suggests hexane extract of spirulina is more effective in removal of arsenic from rat liver tissues than alcohol extract. (full abstract)
The author of this article has had an intense love affair with spirulina over 6 years so needless to say the bias towards spirulina is high. Review the data and remember that all evidence is suggestive. Tomorrow will showcase more benefits this algae has to offer such as its effects on atheroslcerosis, cancer, oxygen deprived tissues, wound healing, etc.
Earthrise spirulina is clean and powerfully effective product that comes highly recommend by the author. It can be found at our local Boise Co-Op as well. Whatever you do with this knowledge at least do something. Remember the words from Pablo Picasso.
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”