Everything from diabetes to candida albicans can be affected by our blue-green algae friend. Including athletic performance and significantly increasing glutathione which can SERIOUSLY change your life. Continue to read as this article unfolds the nutritional maven known as spirulina.
This article will display 5 scientific studies to shed light on how this powerful agent protects your body & mind. Part 3 of 12 articles showcasing the benefits of spirulina.
If your diabetic than you will want to look into the potential of spirulina on metabolic processes.
- Marine sirulina platensis may potentially influence the metabolic process in animal cells, and the effect of marine spirulina platensis in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rats was therefore investigated . . . Treatment with marine spirulina platensis caused significant alterations in the content of these indicators and therefore in the antidiabetic capacity of the treated animals compared to control rats. (full abstract)
Candida albicans and other bacterial infections seriously impact our health. This abstract demonstrates some protective properties spirulina has against fungal/bacterial infections.
- Enhancement of the immune response leading to protection against bacterial and fungal infections was shown using different schedules of immunization with microbial pigments and a polysaccharide. The group of mice given carotenoids and polysaccharide of Spitulina platensis survived for 2 weeks after Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection . . . Adding the carotenoids, phycocyanin and polysaccharides to food as additives might therefore enhance the human immune response against microbial infections. (full abstract)
Tumors really don’t play well with spirulina either.
- Orally administered Spirulina enhances tumoricidal NK activation through the MyD88 pathway. Spirulina exerted a synergistic antitumor activity with BCG-cell wall skeleton, which is known to activate the MyD88 pathway via TLR2/4 . . . We infer from these results that NK activation by Spirulina has some advantage in combinational use with BCG-cell wall skeleton for developing adjuvant-based antitumor immunotherapy. (full abstract)
What is MyD88? And why should you care? It has everything to do with the difference between your innate immunity compared to your adaptive immunity. Let us dig deeper. It stands for myeloid differentiation primary response gene 88 (it is a protein technically encoded with this gene) which in research shows a protective effect against viral and all but a few bacterial infections.
The abstract above eludes to this pathway (Md88) being activated via the TLR2/4 (toll-like receptor 4) which you can think of as a watchman, its also a protein encoded by a gene. One that stands by keeping an eye out for bad guys holding specific weapons (lipopolysaccharide) carried by gangsters called Gram-negative bacteria.
This weapon (lipopolysaccharide) which is found in the outer membrane of Gram-negative bacteria, acts as an endotoxin (toxic to your cells) which elicits a strong immune response provided the tactician & watchman (proteins Md88 & TLR2/4) are not deficient or sleeping on the job.
So these gangsters (Gram-negative bacteria) pack heat (lipopolysaccharide) to cause damage to your body until the watchman (TLR2/4) activate your innate immune system to deploy some NAVY seals (natural killer cells) which basically murder comprised host cells (comprised by virus or tumor cells) to protect the body from a trojan horse (virus or tumor that decides to multiply to take over the host in silence). This is one way that spirulina is showing its protective nature for animals and humans. This ‘innate immunity’ is your first line of defense.
Here is another study showing a boost to your natural cell killer activity to increase innate immunity and decrease your odds for cancer.
- The mRNA expression of the NK- and T-cell marker perforin increased by 75% (p = 0.008) after administration of 400 mg Immulina® per day. Both markers displayed significant dose-dependent effects (p = 0.0003 and p = 0.02, respectively). The ratio between CD56 (bright) and CD56 (dim) NK cells was not affected by Immulina® administration. In summary, two independent studies showed enhancement of NK cell activity following administration of Immulina® for seven days. (full abstract)
It even enhances athletic performance? Just another reason to add this to your diet.
- Time to fatigue after the 2-h run was significantly longer after spirulina supplementation (2.05 +/- 0.68 vs 2.70 +/- 0.79 min). Ingestion of spirulina significantly decreased carbohydrate oxidation rate by 10.3% and increased fat oxidation rate by 10.9% during the 2-h run compared with the placebo trial. GSH levels were higher after the spirulina supplementation compared with placebo at rest and 24 h after exercise . . . Spirulina supplementation induced a significant increase in exercise performance, fat oxidation, and GSH (glutathione) concentration and attenuated the exercise-induced increase in lipid peroxidation. (full abstract)
Glutathione functions as a:
- Endogenous (internal) antioxidant produced by the cells, participating directly in the neutralization of free radicals and reactive oxygen compounds, as well as maintaining exogenous antioxidants such as vitamins C and E in their reduced (active) forms.
- Regulator of the nitric oxide cycle, which is critical for life but can be problematic if unregulated.
- Component to metabolic and biochemical reactions such as DNA synthesis and repair, protein synthesis, prostaglandin synthesis, amino acid transport, and enzyme activation.
- Critical function in iron metabolism. It has been shown that yeast cells depleted of or containing toxic levels of GSH (glutathione) show an intense iron starvation-like response and impairment of the activity of extra-mitochondrial ISC enzymes, followed by death.
If a superfood like spirulina simply increases glutathione than you can see it serves to benefit you on many levels. This is just scratching the surface of this powerhouse food.
Keep on keeping on as tomorrow will provide some exciting insight into anti-inflammatory and liver protection properties of this algae. Review the data and remember that all evidence is suggestive. Earthrise spirulina is clean and powerfully effective product that comes highly recommend by the author. It can be found at our local Boise Co-Op as well.
A good question to ask yourself when deciding why to improve your health is to ask the following and neuroassociate your answer with lifestyle changes that serve you e.g. exercise, increase raw food consumption, switching to organic, raw juicing, breathing exercises, etc.
“What is most important to me in my life?“