A dietary staple for many vegetarians is beans! Home-made refried beans are a great item to have around to make a variety of dishes like burritos or nachos. Start with dried pintos. After rinsing them, put as much as you want to cook in your crock pot and cover with water. Allow to cook overnight or in the morning to use at night.
Refried beans are a great way to sneak in extra nutritional foods such as wheat germ, flax meal, and nutritional yeast flakes that your family will not notice. You can also easily sneak in vegetables like tomatoes and spinach that will also not be too noticeable and will enhance the taste.
Get creative with your refried beans and jazz it up to suit you and your family. To help get those creative juices working, following is a recipe from All Recipes. Feel free to embellish it, such as by adding cilantro.
Original Recipe Yield 12 servings
- 1 pound dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- Place the beans in a large saucepan, and cover with an inch of water. Place over high heat, and bring to a boil. When the beans have come to a boil, drain, and return them to the same pot. Cover the beans with 2 inches of water, and stir in 1 tablespoon of garlic, the tomato, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until the beans are very soft, about 3 hours and 45 minutes, adding water as needed.
- Once the beans have cooked, mash them with the remaining tablespoon of garlic, the oil, and salt to taste; use additional water as needed to achieve desired consistency. Place over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 161 | Total Fat: 3.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg
Pria enjoys writing and marketing imported/hand-made products. Check out and join her facebook page on raising vegetarian kids!
She welcomes any comments, questions and suggestions for vegetarian events and places in Thornton along with recipes via email.
Continue reading on nextooze.com Vegetarian enchiladas are versatile and yummy – Denver Vegetarian | nextooze.com http://nextooze.com/vegetarian-in-denver/vegetarian-enchiladas-are-versatile-and-yummy#ixzz1qhled936