You know who you are. I’m talking to you, boys, if you’ve got dirt underneath your nails, the last time you had a hangnail, you chewed if off, and if you took your socks off right now, there may be a bit of curling of your toenails downward toward the floor. Allegedly.
Guys, here’s the deal: your nails, hands and feet don’t get gnarlier than women’s for no reason. You guys, in most cases, are very physically hard on your feet and your hands, which then translates into the nails. Those are areas that are easy to forget about and just avoid. But when it comes to hanging out with women (read: not your boys’ superbowl party,) this is something you just gotta do.
And this is not something to be taken lightly. Every girl in the room will notice certain things about you, and nails, hands, skin and feet are up pretty high on that list.
So do these five easy things to keep yourself in check.
- Clean out from under your nails. Use a orangewood stick (that’s the technical name for one from a drugstore like Walgreens or Rite Aid) to swoop underneath there and get out all that nastiness.
- Take a quick check of your fingernails and toenails. If they’re so long you could change the channel on the tv with them, CUT THEM. Trim them down with clippers. Take control of those bad boys, and so about every 1-2 weeks.
- Another great idea? Run a file (no, this doesn’t make you a girly-man) to smooth the jagged or rough edges. (Borrow one from your girlfriend or sister if you have to.)
- Put on some lotion, dude. It’s not about the smell. It’s about the softness people will feel when they shake your hand or are simply around you. No matter how rough or soft your hands really are, a good lotion makes them that much softer.
- Finally, if you really think you might need, or if your girl or sister says you do, then try using a foot file. A foot file is nothing but a high-grit file used for really rough areas of skin. Perfect for calluses on your heels, around your toes, or wherever your skin tends to get rough and cracked. Remember to reapply lotion after filing. This one may actually bring on a crazy reaction such as a… foot massage!? Who’s with me?
Sorry boys, this is just one of those small things we are going to ask of you. It makes you look better, it makes you feel better, it makes you smell better, and it will, with 100% accuracy prevent you getting kicked right outta bed by accidentally scraping your honey’s leg with your big, gross, gnarly toenail.