A new trend in yard sales is spreading the web. While traditional Saturday morning yard sales remain popular throughout the Salt Lake area, the newest trend is selling online. Perhaps inspired by sites like KSL and Craigslist, which cater to local buyers, you can now find yard sale groups on sites like Facebook.
What draws many individuals to these online groups is the ease of selling an item in a single post, while finding great deals on other things posted. Facebook yard sales focus on a specific area (typically within reasonable driving distance) and tend to grow quickly as members of the group share it with their friends.
Additional benefits of Facebook yard sales:
- Make money from home by selling items you no longer need
- Post items at your own convenience (no need to stand outside all Saturday)
- No listing fees and typically no shipping fees involved
- Being a social networking site, it’s simple to communicate with the seller or buyer through messaging questions and contact information
- Opportunity to meet new people that you exchange items with
Finding Facebook yard sale groups in your area:
- Using the search box on Facbook type in key words such as, “utah yard sale,” “utah garage sale,” “salt lake yard sale,” “indoor yardsale,” etc.
- Look for groups close to where you live (think reasonable driving distance). If you can’t tell where the group is located, send a message to the group owner
- Ask your friends on Facebook if they know of any local yard sale groups
- Write down groups of interest, then narrow down your list if needed and start joining groups! A few of them may need you to ask to be added to the group
- Once you’re part of a new group, read any documents or rules that may apply and start sharing what you have for sale!
Selling items on Facebook yard sale pages:
- Post a brief, but clear description of the item, its condition, price and relevant features
- Include a clear picture of the item and/or a link to the item on a website that sells it new to give interested buyers more information
- Specify what city you live in so potential buyers will know where they would need to pick the item up from
- As needed, “bump” your posts to the top of the page that are still for sale (do so by adding a response to your own post)
- Delete any items that have sold to make more room for others still available for sale
- If you have a large amount of items to sell, especially of a similar type, you might like to create your own Facebook page, blog, or album of pictures and share a link with the group
Looking for other ways to work from home? You can find more articles from this Examiner on Facebook at Utah Family Life and her About Me page. Subscribe to receive email updates of Debi’s latest articles by clicking the “Subscribe” link above.
Photo Credit: Nuttakit, Free Digital Photos: <p><a href=”http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=1556″>I… nuttakit / FreeDigitalPhotos.net</a></p>