After having a baby, many women find it hard to look at their bodies the same way they used to. They may feel less confident and secure about their new body, but the good news is that it doesn’t have to be permanent. Losing weight after pregnancy can be challenging because many women find themselves very busy with their new little one and may feel they have little time to focus on themselves. Here are 10 tips to help get you slim and trim!
– Eat nutrient-rich foods that are lower in calories and “bad” fats. Foods that are high in fiber are great too because they not only help to keep you regular, but they also keep you full for longer amounts of time.
– Buy snacks that are easy and quick to grab such as blueberries, grapes, baby carrots, pre-portioned cheese (such as Baby Bel), trail mix, nuts, seeds, etc. You can also portion out your snacks in little containers or Ziplocs to make it even easier to grab and go!
– Losing weight after pregnancy will be easier if you keep healthy foods in plain view. For example, at the front of your pantry, fridge, etc.
– Treat exercise as part of your daily routine. You probably wouldn’t leave your house in the morning without brushing your teeth? Brushing your hair? Maybe showering? Think of exercise as one of these daily tasks that has to be done, and find time in your daily schedule to add it in.
– For exercise, the best idea is to do something you actually enjoy, otherwise you won’t want to do it, and it may end up that you give up on it altogether. Do you have a favorite sport? Maybe you like to dance? Walk? Swim? Skate? The list goes on and on. Also remember that if you do the same workout every time, you may end up getting bored with it so try switching it up with something different.
– Don’t “diet”. Losing weight after pregnancy is most effective when eating healthy and exercising regularly, not trying fad diets or starving yourself. That’s not healthy for you or your baby, especially if you are breastfeeding.
– Pay attention to portion control. Eating until you are completely stuffed isn’t good for you, and it will definitely not help you lose weight. When thinking about losing weight after pregnancy, portions are an important thing to remember.
– Running errands? Grab a healthy snack to take with you in case you get hungry. It’s all too easy to buy a bag of chips or a chocolate bar at many places when out and about.
– Weigh yourself once a week. If your weight doesn’t seem to be coming off, you might need to make some adjustments and/or try doing a food journal for awhile just to track things like what you’re eating, the amount of calories, fat, etc.
– Treat yourself once in awhile. Have a little treat every now and then, just remember to keep your portions on the smaller side. For example, if you are wanting chips, buy an individual size bag, not the larger kind.
In conclusion, losing weight after pregnancy is going to take some effort, time and therefore, patience but if you stick with it, you will not be sorry. So, get started with these weight loss tips and get your pre-baby body back!