“The X Factor” U.K. judge Louis Walsh and “The Xtra Factor” co-host Caroline Flack have announced that they will continue to do these jobs in 2012. As for the other “X Factor” U.K. judges who were on the show in 2011, Walsh revealed that Gary Barlow and Tulisa Contostavlos will also remain on “The X Factor” U.K. judging panel, but Kelly Rowland is not confirmed.
Walsh told the Daily Mirror that he signed his “X Factor” contract renewal in late March 2012:
“I am so happy to have signed up for another year. It’s my ninth year, I’m the only person to be in it for nine years. I know two of the judges who are going to be beside me, but I still don’t know who the fourth is going to be just yet. I know for definite that Tulisa is back, and Gary is back. I’m not sure if Kelly is back, but I hope she is, because she worked really hard last year.”
Barlow, Contostavlos and Rowland joined ITV’s “The X Factor” U.K. in May 2011, the same month that Flack and Olly Murs signed on to co-host “The Xtra Factor.” Walsh has been a judge on “The X Factor” since the show’s 2004 debut.
“The Xtra Factor” is an “X Factor” U.K. spinoff show (on ITV2) that features news and interviews with “X Factor” U.K. contestants, judges and guest performers.
As previously reported, Murs confirmed that he will still co-host “The Xtra Factor.” However, Murs will not be able to attend “The X Factor” U.K. auditions in 2012, because he will be touring North America as the opening act for One Direction. Murs will co-host “The Xtra Factor” when “The X Factor” U.K.’s live shows for 2012 begin in October.
Murs came in second place on “The X Factor” U.K. in 2009. One Direction came in third place on “The X Factor” U.K. in 2010.
Meanwhile, Flack announced her news on Twitter on March 28, 2012:
“London excelled in loveliness today! Super delighted that I’m back working on Xtra Factor this year with Olly..will miss him in auditions.”
As for other on-camera talent for “The X Factor” U.K., Dermot O’Leary has already confirmed that he will remain as host of the show.
In a February 2012 interview with The Sun, Barlow said he will continue to be an “X Factor” U.K. judge and had started contract negotiations.
Contostavlos is also returning to the show, according to “The X Factor” executive producer Simon Cowell, who said that she is going to keep her job and that she has his support in the midst of her sex scandal. There had been speculation that Contostavlos would be fired from “The X Factor” U.K. after a video surfaced in March 2012 of her performing oral sex on Justin Edwards (also known as MC Ultra), whom she was dating at the time. Contostavlos, who is 23, made the video when she was 18 or 19.
After the video was made public and sold, Contostavlos’ attorneys were granted an injunction banning the sale, distribution and use of the video. Contostavlos also filed a lawsuit against Edwards, whom she is accusing of releasing the video without her permission. Edwards denied in court that he was responsible for leaking the video to the public.
Even though there were rumors that Cowell might return as a full-time, permanent judge on “The X Factor” U.K., ITV already announced in late 2011 that Cowell will not go back to the show as a judge as long as he is busy with “The X Factor” U.S., which is televised during the same months as “The X Factor” U.K.
However, Cowell will most likely make at least one guest appearance on “The X Factor” U.K. in 2012, just as he did in 2011.