It’s 2012 and Lehigh County is celebrating a 200-year anniversary.
With Allentown as the county seat, it became paramount throughout the early years of its history, that a transportation system was necessary to bring people from the out-lying areas of the county into the city in a reasonable amount of time.
The first trolley came to the Borough of Macungie on Sept. 2, 1899 from the Lehigh Valley Transit Company. Still a dirt road, the trolley tracks ran right down the middle of Main Street, allowing riders to watch as others traveled on horseback or in a horse and buggy.
A trip from Macungie into Allentown took at least an hour, beginning at the Continental Hotel, located next to the railroad tracks in Macungie and ending at Eighth and Hamilton streets, Allentown. The long, indirect route wound along roadways and through fields, going through Emaus, Vera Cruz, Mountainville and sections of Allentown before arriving at the station.
The last trolley to leave Macungie was on May 31, 1929, #303 left at midnight. The only passengers were 7-year-old Bernard Neumeyer and his father F. E. Neumeyer. However, several passengers boarded the trolley in Emaus and got off en route. They spent the night with friends in Allentown and returned the next day via bus—the new mode of public transportation.