Melted cheese, hearty baked beans, spicy jalapeno and chili powder combine in this heated bean dip that is a delicious accompaniment to tortilla chips or cheesy bread sticks.
Nacho bean dip
- 1 can of baked beans (340 ml or 14 ounces) in maple syrup or tomato sauce (**see note below)
- 1 tomato, diced (or ½ cup diced or crushed canned tomatoes or salsa)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 or 2 minced jalapeno pepper
- ¾ cup grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup water
- Optional garnishes: thinly slice green onions, additional grated cheese
Blend all ingredients in a small shallow oven safe casserole dish. If you are using the optional cheese and green onions, sprinkle on top.
Bake at 375`F until bubbling and thickened, or heat in microwave (stirring often).
Allow to cool slightly before serving with tortilla chips.
*Additional tips: If there is any leftover dip you can use it to make sandwiches. Spread on pita bread or tortillas, sprinkle with additional grated cheese and chopped green onions or diced tomatoes, and roll up for a quick snack. Also good on as a topping on tacos in place of refried beans. Tastes good cold or heated.
** You may substitute 1 ½ cups homemade baked beans for the canned beans.