Homeopathic and organic choices have been a growing interest and lifestyle for quite a few years but over the last several years, it has become more popular in the pet lover’s world. When holistic, homeopathic, and organic alternatives started to become popular it was no easy feat to find the options at the store. Most of the ingredients would need to be taken from raw ingredients and cooked or milled at home. However, now that the trend has become a way of living and taking care of our pets, finding the all-natural foods and the homeopathic remedies is as easy as walking into the nearest pet store.
Genuine natural pet food are processed with pure, quality ingredients instead of the traditional pet foods that contain animal byproducts and chemicals that are not the most nutritious or safe ingredients to feed your beloved furry family members. This is not to say that all traditional dog foods are bad; it is a personal preference, of course. No matter what you prefer—all-natural or pet food or the brand you have always used with success, it is best to learn the ingredients in the food your pets are ingesting.
The same rule goes for choosing remedies and medications that you give your pets. No matter if your family member is of the feathered, furry, or scaly kind—there are some medications that are used that can cause harmful side effects. Some pet parents feel it is worth the time to find homeopathic alternative remedies. http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/natural-flea-control.html The following list contains some of the most common issues pets may suffer from and the homeopathic remedies that have been found to successfully treat them:
- Flea infestation—diatomaceous earth (food grade), cedar oil, citronella, garlic, brewer’s yeast, eucalyptus, and other herbs and essential oils, essential oil flea collar http://www.theherbsplace.com/Essential_Oil_Recipes_Pets_sp_181.html http://www.ehow.com/list_7713556_oils-kill-fleas.html
- Flea allergy—eucalyptus, rosemary, fennel and yellow dock
- Mange treatment—plain yogurt, a mixture of garlic, goldenseal, and olive oil, borax mixture with hydrogen peroxide and water
- Other skin conditions—do not over-bathe, add healthy oils to foods, give small amount of bacon grease over food, petroleum jelly on dry area
- Roundworm, tapeworm, other parasites–diatomaceous earth (food grade), ground pumpkin seeds, wormwood, fasting for 24 hours
- Joint pain—fish oil, glucosamine, vitamin E, healthy weight
- Digestive disorders (hairballs, indigestion, diarrhea)—butter, petroleum jelly for hairballs, indigestion remedies: licorice, slippery elm, and marshmallow
The information in this article is not intended to replace the care of a vetrinarian. If your pet has a serious health condition, seek vetrinary attention immediately. The homeopathic treatments are an alternative to other treatments and can be safely uses along with vetrinary treatments with no risk of side effects. There are some conditions that must be handled medically by a professional.
The natural food choices as well as pre-made herbal supplements and remedies for your pet may be found around the Erie, Pennsylvania area in stores such as Petsmart, Petco, Buzz ‘N’ B’s, Proudland Pets and Dog-Gone-Its. Some of the brands of dog and cat food offered are as follows:
- California Naturals www.petsmart.com
- Cat Lover’s Gold
- Dog Lover’s Gold
- Blue Buffalo
- Castor & Pollux http://www.petco.com
- Natural Choice
- Holistic Select
There are many others besides those listed so if you follow the links you can see a full list. Dog-Gone-Its in North East, PA carries all kinds of natural treats and pet supplies including deer and elk antlers for chewing, real rawhide chews, hooves, organ meats, pet supplies of the herbal kind, and cat treats such as freeze-dried small fish. http://www.doggoneits.com
Proudland Pets in Fairview, PA is a homeopathic haven of supplies as well as a great book with remedies and treatments for man and beast http://www.proudland.com . Proudland also offers some lessons on creating homeopathic mixtures, and more. Buzz N’ B’s in Erie, PA http://buzznbsaquariumandpetshop.com/index.html offers many options just as Petsmart and Petco stores do, but they are a family owned business that continues to grow and offer unique deals and products.