As a child, who doesn’t remember a favorite snack of OREO cookies and milk ~ twisting the two chocolate biscuits apart and licking the vanilla filling? It has been one hundred years when, on March 6, 1912, magic happened as two decoratively embossed chocolate-flavored biscuits met up with a rich crème filling and OREO was born.
In honor of this delicious milestone, OREO is on a mission to reignite the spirit of childhood by celebrating the kid inside all of us and invites fans from around the world to “Celebrate the Kid Inside”with every twist, lick and dunk, a phrase launched in ads decades ago.
The recently released Global Spirit of Childhood Report revealed that the majority of parents surveyed across 20 countries believe today’s kids are growing up quicker than did previous generations and should have more time to “just be kids.” The report also showed that parents all around the world long for the carefree fun of their youth.
“In today’s hectic world, people have more responsibilities and pressures than ever before,” said John Ghingo, Senior Director for OREO Global. “Despite this, the simple act of enjoying an OREO cookie and glass of milk continues to speak to a universal, human truth: inside all of us, whether grown-up or still growing, there’s a kid that deserves to be set free every once in a while.”
This truth has helped OREO cross oceans and borders to capture the hearts of fans in more than 100 countries. Since the first OREO cookie was sold in Hoboken, N.J., this unbeatable biscuit has grown to become the world’s top-selling cookie from the United States to China, and has attracted more than 25 million Facebook fans globally.
OREO is asking the world to Unplug, Log-off and Make a Moment Count – to put down its cell phones, close its laptops and take a moment to celebrate the kid inside us all by inspiring and collecting one million moments of slowed down, carefree fun. At Oreo.com/birthday and on the OREO Facebook page, fans can share how they’ve let their inner child free by posting a photo, story or video to the OREO Moments Gallery. The “Million Moments Meter” will track submissions, one heartwarming moment at a time, so fans can see what others are doing all around the world.
To kick off the mission of celebrating the kid inside, OREO will make moments happen for fans in nearly two dozen countries during more than 100 birthday parties, including:
- In the United States, OREO will surprise and delight consumers in seven cities with “flash birthday parties,” including a concert with a special guest in Los Angeles, as well as a celebration on Capitol Hill.
- In China, OREO fans will witness a grand fireworks show at the famous Shanghai Bund in honor of the 100th birthday, with the Oriental Pearl tower turned “OREO” blue in the background in commemoration of the brand. A celebration bus tour will stop in 100 cities and towns, bringing games and activities such as a jungle gym, trampoline and “Bungie Dunking.”
- Consumers in Indonesia will get to unleash the kid inside at a specially constructed park, courtesy of OREO, that will include a large playground for all to enjoy.
- In Canada, festivities start with a surprise gift in the Toronto Eaton Centre.
- In Venezuela, OREO fans will have a chance to break dozens of piñatas to commemorate the milestone in true birthday fashion.
- In theMiddle East, OREO will bring consumers together in Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam and Dubai for party games and birthday cake, including a celebration at the world’s largest shopping mall in Dubai.
The celebrations will be captured through video and photos, and shared in real-time on the OREO Facebook page for fans in more than 200 countries to enjoy.
With the centennial comes an international limited-edition cookie launch as buzz-worthy as the big birthday itself. New Birthday Cake OREO cookies feature colorful sprinkles in the famous crème filling held together by chocolaty OREO cookie wafers, embossed with a special birthday design. Birthday Cake OREO cookies will be available in the United States, China, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Canada beginning as early as mid-February.
In addition to sharing their moments on the OREO Moments Gallery, OREO Facebook fans around the world will have the chance throughout 2012 to be featured for the brand’s “Birthday of the Day,” which spotlights a new fan on his/her birthday every day. Fans also can choose to send personalized birthday card greetings through Facebook to family and friends, which includes a customized greeting from award-winning country music trio, Lady Antebellum.
In the fall, OREO will host a multinational event in New York City for selected OREO ambassadorsfrom 13 different countries. Each “AmbassadOREO” will take a pledge to continue the brand’s 100th birthday mission of spreading childlike delight in their communities. For additional informationvisit OREO at http://www.kraftfoodscompany.com/Brands/Oreo/index.aspx.
Enjoy this article? Please click on the “Subscribe” button above to receive e-mail alerts when a new article appears.
For the latest food and restaurant news and seasonal recipes, visit me at Shore Region Restaurant Examiner and TastefuLiving.net.