Preppers do not necessarily all believe that the world is completely going to end. Most preppers base their movement on the importance of being prepared by being self reliant. Humans have become so dependent on others to provide for us. This is very prevalent in crowded suburbs like Long Island. We have turned into a toss away society, buying goods to be wasted and thrown into landfills.
You do not need to be a devout follower of the prepper movement to learn how to be more self reliant.
- Create a more energy efficient home
- Repurpose goods for other purposes to keep waste from landfills
- Sustainable building such as green roofs
- Sustainable gardening and farming such as growing your own vegetables and raising chickens to supply eggs.
It is important for us to maintain an ecological balance for our Earth to survive.
New York Thrives has opened it’s doors to help us on the quest to be sustainable. Lee Keil has opened this retail store specifically to sell:
- Shelf Reliance products,
- Indoor gardening, (hydroponics and soil)
- Square foot gardening
- Wild edibles and foraging
- Heirloom non gmo seeds from Monticello and maybe Colonial Williamsburg
- Chicken coops
- Bee hives
- Preservative free and gluten free foods
- Travel and camping, and emergency preparedness gear
- Food storage shelving and supplies
- Books to assist in your quest to be self sustaining
The store will also be emphasizing the need to repurpose furnishings and recycle
- Creative repurposed furniture and housewares will be for sale at the shop.
Lee Keil stresses the need for people to be able to be self reliant in the event of a major crisis.
There are workshops planned to “learn how to do all this stuff!”
- Saturday May 12, 2012: “Three Great Ways to learn about the many delicious (and free) wild woods right here on Long Island that you CAN EAT!!! You won’t want to miss this rare occurrence – a day with New York’s renowned Naturalist and Foraging Expert Extraordinaire “Wildman” Steve Brill, sponsored by New York Thrives.”
Stop by and check out New York Thrives located at 1028A Park Avenue in Huntington, NY 11743. Give them a call at (631) 923-0018.
The Earth will also be evolving and changing. It is time for humans to start slowing down and stop unnecessary waste in order to assist our planet and nurture it’s growth. Live life to it’s fullest, and healthiest. Never be afraid to dance!
Read and subscribe to my Long Island Prepper articles, Interior Design and Interior Decorating articles written for nextooze.com