When the weekend nears it is sometimes difficult to decide on what to prepare for dinner. With warmer weather on the way turning the oven on may not be appealing. A quick, filling meal with easy preparation can still feed the whole family without a lot of fuss or waiting. A classic club sandwich is just what busy families need every now and then. A sandwich stuffed and stacked with healthy choices will fill everyone up and still give them time to attend all the extracurricular activities that are still on the calendar for that week or weekend day.
Enjoy a classic club sandwich today!
Remember Winonans that the SuperValu in town has everything available for you to stack your club sandwich with the tastiest ingredients. Before you head to the store with the list of ingredients make sure to check below at the suggestions first. There may be a few food items you might just want to also add to the grocery list.
- 12 slices of white bread
- 1 pound of sliced turkey breast
- ¾ cup of mayonnaise
- 18 tomato slices
- 18 slices of crisp cooked bacon
- 6 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 slices of Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan and set on paper towels to drain and cool.
- Toast all the bread slices.
- Rinse and pat dry the crisp Romaine lettuce leaves and cut each one in half.
- Then spread the mayonnaise over one side of three slices of the toasted bread.
- Place two lettuce halves on one bread slice and top with 3 slices of tomato.
- Top the tomatoes with 3 slices of crisp bacon.
- Now place the second piece of toasted bread over the bacon with the mayonnaise side up.
- Stack the turkey over the mayonnaise.
- Salt and pepper the turkey to taste if desired.
- Add a slice of Swiss cheese over the turkey.
- Cover with the third slice of toasted bread mayonnaise side down upon the club sandwich.
- Use toothpicks or party picks (4 per sandwich) to hold the layers in place.
- Then cutting on a diagonal make 4 triangular wedges. Insert the party picks or toothpicks to hold the club sandwich layers together.
- Place the sandwiches on a serving platter or individual plates and serve.
- Serve with potato chips, corn chips or tortilla chips.
- A small bowl or cup of tomato soup is perfect to change this lunch into a light and filling dinner choice when days are busy.
- Add some slices of sweet, bread and butter, Gherkins, dill or garlic pickles on the plate or tray for everyone to choose their favorite.
- Spice up the mayonnaise to give the sandwich a completely different flavor filled with goodness. Just mix 2/3 cup of mayonnaise with either 1/3 cup of Guacamole, salsa, Pesto sauce or pureed sundried tomatoes and mix well before spreading onto the sandwich.
- Ripe avocado or apple slices also make this club sandwich tasty. Just add 3-4 thin slices over the turkey when stacking the sandwich.
© 2012 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions:
- Cooking in National
- Winona Cooking
Fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories:
- Home and Living
- Winona Home and Living
Health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle:
- Healthy Living
Subscribe to any of my topics to receive e-mail updates (spam free) whenever I post a new article!
You can also follow me on: Twitter, Digg and Facebook – fans pages are Cooking in National, Home and Living and Healthy Living.