Lifetime announced yesterday that Queen Latifah has signed on to star in and executive produce a TV remake of the classic 1989 film Steel Magnolias, which originally starred Dolly Parton, Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine, Darryl Hannah, Julia Roberts, and Olympia Dukakis. The remake with Queen Latifah will air on Lifetime as an original movie event. Julia Roberts was nominated for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in the original movie that grossed more than $83 million in the USA. The movie also received a People’s Choice Award in 1990 for Favorite Dramatic Motion Picture.
In the television adaptation, Queen Latifah will play the role of M’Lynn, which was originally played by Sally Field. The Lifetime all-star cast for Steel Magnolias also includes Golden Globe and multiple Emmy-winner Alfre Woodard as Ouiser, Tony Award winner Phylicia Rashad as Clairee, Grammy winner Jill Scott as Truvy, Adepero Oduye as Annelle, and Condola Rashad as Shelby.
In the updated contemporary version, Steel Magnolias chronicles the lives and friendship of six women in Louisiana. Supporting each other through their triumphs and tragedies, they congregate at Truvy’s beauty shop to ponder the mysteries of life and death, husbands and children. Production will commence this April in Atlanta, for a debut in 2012 on Lifetime.
Fans of the original Steel Magnolias movie hope that the new cast can capture the same magic of its original cast. A big portion of the film’s appeal was its humorous one-line zingers that were delivered with perfect comedic timing. Below are some of the best lines from the 1989 film version of Steel Magnolias:
- Truvy (Dolly Parton): “In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight.”
- Ouiser (Shirley MacLaine): “I do not see plays, because I can nap at home for free. And I don’t see movies ’cause they’re trash, and they got nothin’ but naked people in ’em! And I don’t read books, ’cause if they’re any good, they’re gonna make ’em into a miniseries.”
- Clairee (Olympia Dukakis): “Looks like two pigs fighting under a blanket.”
- Truvy (Dolly Parton): “When it comes to pain and suffering, she’s right up there with Elizabeth Taylor.”
- Shelby (Julia Roberts): “We went skinny dipping and we did things that frightened the fish.”
- Truvy (Dolly Parton): “Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it’s marching across your face.”
- Ouiser (Shirley MacLaine): “The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.”
- Clairee (Olympia Dukakis): “The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.”
- Truvy (Dolly Parton): “Sammy’s so confused that he doesn’t know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt!”
More about Lifetime:
Lifetime launched in 1984 and the network celebrates, entertains and supports women. Through its award-winning public affairs initiatives, the Company also advocates a wide range of issues affecting women and their families.
From a single cable channel, Lifetime Networks has grown to include Lifetime Television® and Lifetime Movie Network®, the top two women’s networks on basic cable today, and Lifetime Real Women®. The network also features a thriving digital business and new channels, such as Lifetime HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD, and Lifetime On Demand.
Lifetime Television is a subsidiary of A&E Television Networks, LLC. A&E Television Networks is a joint venture of the Disney-ABC Television Group, Hearst Corporation and NBC Universal.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest TV news.