There is a rumor that Whitney Houston’s only child, Bobbi Kristina, is dating Nick Gordon, Whitney Houston’s so-called adopted son.
Hollywoodlife.com recently reported that the couple were seen making out in a Target store near their home.
Contrary to various reports, Nick, 22, told ABC News that he and Bobbi Kristina, 19, are not dating.
He says, “We’re just close — just going through her mom’s passing and grieving together.”
Some are calling the relationship incestuous.
This article is not to prove the accusations are true or untrue about them dating. On the other hand, this article is only to explain what “incest” means.
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, “incest” means “sexual intercourse between persons so closely related that they are forbidden by law to marry.”
Wikipedia says, “Incest is sexual intercourse between close relatives that is usually illegal in the jurisdiction where it takes place and/or is conventionally considered a taboo. The term may apply to sexual activities between: individuals of close “blood relationship”; members of the same household; step relatives related by adoption or marriage; and members of the same clan or lineage.”
“Incest” is also defined as “having sexual intercourse with someone who is blood-related to you (mother and son, father and daughter, brother and sister).
The degree of relationship that qualifies as incest does vary. In some jurisdictions it is legal to have relations with your first cousin; in others it is not.
Incest with immediate family members is illegal in most places around the world.
Laws in the United States Concerning Incest
In the United States, every state and the District of Columbia have some form of codified incest prohibition. However, individual statutes vary widely.
- Rhode Island repealed its criminal incest statute in 1989.
- Ohio only targets parental figures.
- New Jersey does not apply any penalties when both parties are 18 years of age or older.
- Massachusetts issues a penalty of up to 20 years’ imprisonment for those engaging in sexual activities with relatives closer than first cousins.
- Hawaii sentences up to 5 years in jail for sexual intercourse with certain blood relatives and in-laws.
- In all states, close blood-relatives that fall under the incest statutes include father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, and in some states, first cousins, although Rhode Island allows uncles to marry their nieces if they are part of a community, such as orthodox Jews, for whom such marriages are permitted.
- Many states also apply incest laws to non-blood relations including stepparents, step-siblings, and in-laws.
Although Nick and Bobbi Kristina aren’t biologically related, Whitney Houston unofficially adopted Gordon when he was 12 years old. Gordon lived with the family ever since, reportedly referring to Bobbi Kristina as his “sister.”
So, based on these definitions, would you consider this a case of incest if they have sexual relations?