Congratulations to Gerry Cerrigone on his newest restaurant, the newest seafood restaurant on the ever-growing, ever-pleasing Montclair restaurant scene. Fin (183 Glenridge Avenue) is all it promised it would be. Its extensive menu includes a wonderfully fresh raw bar, creative appetizers and salads, home made pastas and a range of seafood choices. We sampled many items on our last visit. Here are our favorites:
* P.E.I. Mussels — Amazing appetizer, dozens of tender, fresh steamed mussels served in a major heaping bowl, swimming in a savory fresh tomato, white wine and herb broth. Delicious! Ask for extra bread to sop up the broth. You won’t want a single drop to go back to the kitchen!
* Crispy Spring Roll — Fresh, well-sized and generously filled with succulent lobster and shrimp. Served with a perfect accompaniement of spicy Asain mustard and sweet dipping sauces and a veggie slaw. Amazing combination of flavors and textures. Although the roll is amply sized, order two for the table so everyone gets a bite.
* Flight of assorted fresh oysters, fresh and succulent, from the raw bar. Ask for special pricing when you order more than six.
* House-made shoe string potatoes — Prepared and served in the best French way, in a cone lined with paper. Crisp, perfectly seasoned and an excellent accompaniment to steamed mussels.
* Baby Spinach Sauté — Garlic-scented, sautéed in olive oil, a treat for the whole table while munching on fries.
* Spaghettini — The tiniest, most flavorful little neck clams rim an enormous bowl of spaghetti alla oila, perfectly al dente, seasoned and sprinkled with chopped fresh herbs.
* Braised Short Rib Ragu — A non-seafood item on the pasta menu pleases with melt-in-your-mouth short ribs and a rich, heartily-seasoned sauce. Another great option “for the table.”
Every selection was generously portioned, filled with unique seasonings and flavors. The atmosphere is lively, a mix of young hip singles, older marrieds and families.
In short, Fin is a find! Reservations essential, book far in advance. BYO.