Have you seen the research on the toxicity of sugar? Sugar is linked to a myriad of health problems including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, and obesity. Why then does our culture constantly throw cupcakes at children? Most of us like sweets but they can become addictive. If we make better choices most of the time and save the massive chocolate brownies for our birthday we will have healthier families, we just have to be careful to not eat the cake on everyone else’s birthday too. Mississippi has held the title for the fattest state for the past six years, with education and accessibility we can improve the health of the people in our beautiful state.
Below you will find the CBS news links on toxic sugar:
CBS news: toxic sugar
CBS news: kids and sugar
Fruit can be a wonderful alternative to enjoy for a sweet treat. Natural dark chocolate is another naturally sweet indulgence we can enjoy for an alternative dessert. A creamy alternative to Ice Cream can be made with frozen bananas, you can add in nuts, dark chocolate or berries to create new surprisingly good flavors. Take advantage of the many pick your own berry farms in and around Hernando this summer for a local treat.
Here is a list of unusual ideas for decadent fruit desserts:
- Fruit Pops http://www.bakersroyale.com/ice-cream-and-frozen-desserts/fruit-pops
- Strawberry Fruit Cups http://www.ohdesserts.net/vegan-desserts-strawberry-fruit-cups.php
- Kiwi fruit dessert http://geniuscook.com/dessert-kiwi-fruit-strawberry/
- Pineapple strawberry dessert http://geniuscook.com/recipe-fruit-dessert-pineapple strawberry/
Here are some ideas for using dark chocolate:
- Raspberry dark chocolate chip dessert http://www.gotchocolate.com/2012/04/recipe-raspberry-dark-chocolate-chip-dessert/
- Dark chocolate walnut-pomegranate chocolate clusters http://jeanetteshealthyliving.com/2012/02/a-valentines-day-sweet-treat-dark-chocolate-walnut-pomegranate-chocolate-clusters.html
- Dark chocolate peanut clusters http://cbsop.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-peanut-clusters-recipe/
- Dark chocolate strawberries http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/dark-chocolate-strawberries.html