Time to put those snow boots away, because now is the perfect time to purchase shorts as well as sweaters. You’re probably wondering why sweaters, well that’s because most if not all of them are on clearance so stores can make room for summer and spring clothing. However, if you leap into your car and head to the store without knowing what you’re looking for then you’ll waist money on items you may never wear. To avoid such issues prepare yourself by performing a few simple tasks and then you’ll be ready to shop!
A Grand Inventory
This is no small trip that requires a small list of items you found online according to a specific store, this a trip to complete or update your summer wardrobe.
- Start by going through every drawer of your closet with pen and paper on hand.
- Put every piece in a designated pile such as pants or blouses. Now make list or record of how many pieces you have in the piles.
- After you’re done don’t set the list aside only to throw it away after your shopping trip, keep it somewhere for future reference. Put in a specially marked vanilla folder, staple it together like a book, or put in an envelope. Whatever method you prefer is fine, just as long as you can go back to it later.
- From this grand inventory make a second list focusing on what you need specifically. For example if you’ve discovered you have a smaller amount of shorts than you want, then put that on your list.
- Do some online research to get an idea of what the stores are selling. Now write down the items you like and their departments.
- After you’ve done this your list should have two sections, one listing what you specifically need and the second items you are interested in.
What do you need?
- While you’re writing all this information on paper keep two important details in mind. These details are what does your closet need and your lifestyle. Are you a runner, do you ride horses, do you climb rocks, go on long camping trips with friends, or are you a beach person, enjoy boating, or prefer picnics in the park?
Make a list
- With these details in mind make side notes on your list to decide quantity. For example if want five pairs of shorts overall and only have two, then focus on finding three more. Just a little side note on your list, maybe something like the bullet below.
Shorts- 2 pairs (need 3 more)
- These same details apply to your winter clothing as well, since so many winter pieces are on clearance you might as well kill two birds with one stone.
- For instance if you think your closet was lacking in sweaters this winter count the amount you have and decide how many you want. You might want six crew neck sweaters and only have four, so focus on finding two more.
- Use your side notes to create another list that will come with you to the store, this list can also be thrown away if you’ve found everything on it. If not put it with your inventory and you’ll be prepared for your second trip.
- Find a space for winter clothing and pack them in boxes or plastic storage containers.
- For your new summer clothing make sure there is room in your closet or dresser. Once you have space all that’s left to do is go to the store, so happy hunting and may the goddess of fashion sense be with you.
These steps can save you money, while your list can keep you focused. No matter the season shopping smart means more money in your wallet and a well-stocked closet.