If you’re looking for a game that blends elements of games like Total War and League of Legends, then check out Frogware’s F2P (free-to-play) World of Battles, which is now available on Steam–along with a new update that adds all-new goodies to the game.
I previewed World of Battles and did a short interview with the game’s Senior Producer in July of last year. I enjoyed the preview quite a bit, but its relatively limited exposure and availability at the time no doubt limited its player base as well. Releasing on Steam should help increase the game’s player base considerably–and if you enjoy this type of game, I highly recommend checking it out on Steam.
The new update adds new units, new gear, and new battlefields to the game. Also new are Steam achievements (of course), and a clan system so you can team up with friends and conquer enemies, who must join your clan when they are defeated or suffer the consequences (i.e. humiliation, loot loss and the like).
The Steam release of World of Battles also adds a boardgame/wargame-like metagame, along with an improved chat system, Facebook integration so you can taunt friends and frenemies, and various balance tweaks and interface improvements.
Here’s the complete rundown of the updates added to the game, courtesy of Frogwares:
- Clan System – It’s finally here! Unite with friendly factions to conquer neighboring
- Global Map – command your armies from above with this board-game style metagame
- Steam Availability – track achievements and manage clans within the familiar Steam client
- New Giants & Gear – three new hulking beasts join the roster: the Dwarven Runesteel giant, Grunge the Swamp Troll, and a Dark Elf riding atop a monstrously mutated Cold One known as Shadow
- Giants now have their own gear slots
- New Battlefields – test your skills on new tactical arenas
- Game Balancing – tweaks including the gem, ratings and Master Unit systems as well as new achievements and unlockables
- Facebook Integration – one-click registration and login is the easiest way for new players to access the game